Publications Group for ADHOC

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (grockwel@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 18:07:55 EST

    Dear all,

    If I understand the mandate of the publications committee (PubCrawl)
    and its composition we need to do the following:

    1. Participate in the negotiations with OUP and Blackwell on the LLC.
    (RS, LH and I along with LLC folk)

    2. The Publications group should review the publications proposal to
    ADHOC and start developing a full framework.

    3. In particular we should develop an e-journal proposal to be
    circulated before the conference.

    The composition of the Publications Committee is (for now)

    ACH Reps
    Geoffrey Rockwell (also TEI)
    Lorna Hughes
    Ray Siemens

    ALLC Reps
    Marilyn Deegan
    Edward Vanhoutte
    Simon Horobin

    I am not sure Lorna wants to be involved in the nitty gritty of the
    publications committee, but she should be involved in the
    negotiations around LLC. Am I missing someone? Is someone on this
    list who shouldn't be?

    Yours,

    Geoffrey Rockwell

    ______________

    C. Publications (Geoffrey)
    Key tasks:
      - develop a publications strategy framework, building on GR's
      original paper, and taking into account subsequent discussions
      and developments
      - the ALLC Committee is in process of approving an rfp for the
    publication of LLC.
      This is about to go to OUP and Blackwell, with a deadline of 30 April.
      The responses need to be considered, with follow-up questions and
      legal and financial advice during May. Assuming both bids are felt
      to be worth considering, both publishers could be invited to give
      presentations to the association committee(s) at Goteborg.
      - previously JU and HS had proposed a publications work group
      consisting of GR and Ray Siemens (both ACH) and Marilyn Deegan,
      Edward Vanhoutte, and Simon Horobin (LLC Editor and Associate
      Editors). This corresponds to a proposal in GR's ADHOC paper.
    Proposal: it would make sense for GR and RS to be involved on
    behalf of the ACH in reviewing the submissions from OUP and
    Blackwell, along wiith LH. The publications work group should
    take into account the publishers' proposals in developing the
    wide-ranging publications strategy proposals for ADHO.