Re: Process Suggestion

From: Julia Flanders (Julia_Flanders@brown.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 14:50:08 EDT

    Here's a chart of what the TEI offers/would like to offer, along the
    lines of what Geoffrey posted.

    Currently:

    1. A web site, www.tei-c.org, which serves two audiences: it provides
    the general TEI-using public with resources (DTDs, TEI Guidelines,
    information on tools, guidance on how/why to join the TEI) and it
    provides TEI members with access to internal resources (meeting
    reports, training resources, etc.).

    2. An annual meeting/conference aimed at TEI members (offering
    training, reports, updates, opportunities to meet with other TEI
    users)

    3. A listserv, TEI-L

    4. TEI training services (offered at the annual conference and on
    request, for a fee); also web resource which lists training resources
    available and reviews training materials

    5. Assistance with grant-writing (to help people write the TEI into
    grant proposals)

    The areas where I think the TEI would like to expand its activities are:

    1. More extensive documentation, aimed at different audiences
    (information for novices; information targeted at particular
    disciplines)

    2. More extensive conference presence (perhaps as an allied
    organization at other people's conferences)

    3. TEI consulting services, provided to members (preferably
    subsidized or free) and to the general public (perhaps as a
    revenue-generating services)

    4. More extensive training services, again preferably subsidized or
    free to members

    5. Alliances with related encoding standards which serve particular
    communities; the goal here would be to use existing work and
    incorporate it into the TEI as a DTD subset rather than have TEI
    reinvent it

    6. Information-gathering about our community and the needs of TEI
    users (and potential users)

    Since there are several other TEI people on this list, I invite them
    to weigh in and add to/comment on the above.

    Best, Julia