Some thoughts

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (grockwel@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 18:14:28 EDT

    Dear all,

    John has suggested we start talking even if we don't yet have a
    chair. I propose that a first step is to enumerate all the services
    that our respective associations/consortiums offer and those we would
    like to offer since we are looking for overlap were collaboration
    would allow us to do more. I will start with my list of what the ACH
    offers its constituents:

    1. A print journal, Chum
    2. A www site
    3. An online discussion list, Humanist
    4. A jobs mentoring service with a jobs database on the www site
    5. A joint conference with ALLC
    6. Coordinated sessions with other associations like the MLA
    7. Affiliation with Computing in the Humanities Working Papers
    8. A joint award, the Busa award

    What would I like to see offered that we can't afford now:

    1. A free online journal that was exemplary of digital humanities practice
    2. A peer-review process for born-digital artefacts
    3. Conference support for graduate students
    4. Affordable membership fees for students
    5. Links to regional associations and local conferences like
    COCH/COSH and into the Pacific Rim
    6. Information gathering about our community and the needs of
    computing humanists

    Would others like to do the same for the organizations they
    represent. I offer to then aggregate the lists.

    Yours,

    Geoffrey Rockwell