20.486 matters of scale and imagination

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 07:14:06 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Matt Jensen <mattj_at_newsblip.com> (21)
         Subject: Re: 20.483 matters of scale and imagination

   [2] From: "Rabkin, Eric" <esrabkin_at_umich.edu> (115)

         Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:08:06 +0000
         From: Matt Jensen <mattj_at_newsblip.com>

>Do we have photographs of the earth from 10**9 meters?

A billion miles? I think Voyager 1 took a picture of Earth from the
neighborhood of Neptune. Google Image is failing me right now, though.

>Can we in fact see DNA nucleotide building blocks (at 10**-9
>meters) with the right sort of microscopy?

You can see individual atoms with a scanning tunneling microscope
(STM), though they look somewhat like balls under a blanket.

>It is interesting to reflect on the role of computing in this sweep
>from macro- to microcosmic -- and the sort of childhood, with its
>imagination, that is shaped in play with such toys from the
>beginning. It is easy to dig up the old cliche about yet another blow
>to human vanity, following in the wake of Copernicus, Darwin, Freud,
>but that seems a jaded and not very imaginative reaction, and not the
>sort a child or child-like person would have.

Personal view: I first saw the short "Powers of Ten" film when I was
about ten. I was blown away, and loved it ever since. When Google
Earth came out (first as Keyhole), I was blown away again. The zoom
feature makes it my favorite app in twenty years.

Matt Jensen
NewsBlip
Seattle