20.484 fixing the MLA's problem

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 07:58:58 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Matt Kirschenbaum" <mkirschenbaum_at_gmail.com> (42)
         Subject: Re: 20.482 fixing the MLA's problem

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (21)
         Subject: what goes around comes around, unless...

         Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:37:12 +0000
         From: "Matt Kirschenbaum" <mkirschenbaum_at_gmail.com>

> Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:17:43 +0000
> From: "Timothy Mason" <timothyjpmason_at_gmail.com>
> >
>I'm wondering whether many of the students of English have not, fairly
>deliberately, chosen their subject to get away from the digital and
>nerdish.

No doubt. In the English department in which I teach I regularly
encounter students who are intimidated by the process of logging in to
the class blog. I also encounter students, sometimes English majors
sometimes not, speaking fluently and unselfconsciously about their
information landscape.

Increasingly, the business of the humanities is being actively
conducted elsewhere, by those who are pinging tagging Googling
de.licio.us.ing feeding blogging mining piping storing mixing mashing
gaming.

Interesting for example that both respondents to the current Humanist
thread point to that Medieval Helpdesk video, which is fun, but our
knowing laughter can't hide the fact this time joke really is on us.
The more apropos example is Michael Wesch's "Web 2.0 ... The Machine
is Us/ing Us":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE

Yes, you've seen it.

It's saccharine perhaps, but the point is that an Assistant Professor
at Kansas State made a 4-minute video that in less than a month, in
its original YouTube venue alone, has been viewed 1.6 million times
(eight more in the time it took me to write this email) and garnered
over 4000 comments. Not to mention the innumerable instances of its
embedding in other pages, with their own viewers and comment threads.

Compare that to the kind of exposure a university press monograph or
peer-reviewed journal article, even one on JSTOR or MUSE, gets you.

How many of our departments are equipping our students to make work like this?

The biggest mistake we can make is not to think that the humanities
are a world elsewhere but to think that *tech* is a world elsewhere.
This stuff should be our bread and butter. Matt

--
Matthew Kirschenbaum
Assistant Professor of English