20.420 where we are

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:04:27 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:16:14 +0000
         From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl>
         Subject: RE: 20.413 where are we?

If I may be so bold :

Maybe you all know something I don't -- and I'd be delighted to be
enlightened on the matter, but I've never myself seen a single "source
of intellectual authority" for the "trajectory of thought" that human
enquiry can deliver "an absolute conception of the world as it is
independently of any local or peculiar perspective on it". The very
terms of expression here come down to an oxymoron.

But more importantly and pragmatically : it seems to me that we'd all
be much better off if we just accepted such a simple (and as far as I
can see unavoidable) working assumption (I almost called it a "truth",
but that would be irresponsibly unreflexive, wouldn't it ?), and proceeded
to live with it the best we can. Indeed that's really the fun part, as far as
I'm concerned. Beating dead horses can get quite tiresome, after all.

You write of Williams' "hope" that the situation could become
otherwise. A classic example of an idle hope. But I guess none of us
is immune to that phenomenon, though we rightly tend to keep our
idle hopes to ourselves. And, fortunately, idle hopes and other sorts
of fantasies don't require any "source of intellectual authority". Let's
keep it that way.

Please note, I'm by no means an unreserved constructivist ; the
above mustn't be taken to suggest that "the world as it is independently
of any local or peculiar perspective on it" doesn't exist. That's not the
point at all. There's not only good reason to hope that it does, but
even good reason to think (even with intellectual authority) that it
does. But a human "absolute conception" of it is a whole nuther kettle
o' fish. A useless chimaera in fact.

- Laval Hunsucker