20.382 the machine metaphor

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:13:27 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:52:06 +0000
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
         Subject: Re: 20.081 the machine metaphor

Willard,

It dawned upon me that Spam is Maps spelt backwards.

This came to me as I was composing some html
files in the style of the days when unsolicited email
respected a certain etiquette and was not
designed as as a dodge around filters to dump a curious sort of
poetry. Days that predate the dot.com bubble
where one could view the source of html rendered in a browser
and readily find in the head something like:

<link rel=3D"made" href=3D"mailto:lachance_at_chass.utoronto.ca">

If you used a browser like Lynx you could with a
few keyboard strokes invoke a routine to compose and send
a message.* Few if any other browsers provide
such functionality. They have tended to rely on hypertext
anchors nested in the <body> element to trigger
mail utilities. Common practice is to now use natural
languages to resist the harvesting of email addresses for bulk mailings.

I have never removed <link> elements from any
html files I have published to the World Wide Web. And I
have seen the patterns that indicate that the
tides of unsolicited material are declined. [Aside: ELM is
an excellent client for tagging message for
deletion without reading them -- it is a feature that would be
nice to incorporate in other email clients (I
find it irritating to have a program designed to not take
advantange of the batch processing power of the machine).]

I am listening to the great Bob Marley and the
Wailers sing on Burnin' "Pass it on"

Be not selfish in your doings, pass it on
Help your brothers in their needs, pass it on
[...]

while I compose this.

Very fitting since I have been thinking about
adding some noise to clog the harvesters that generate the
lists that the spammers use to push their wares.

<link rel=3D"whatever" href=3D"mailto:boguz_at_utopia.everywhere.ca">
<link rel=3D"whenever" href=3D"mailto:bouguz2_at_utopia.anytime.ca">

I was thinking about the impact of some
industrious script writers to produce what amount to bollards. Or
even a test exercise for teaching HTML coding.
Innocuous by their small size such files
distributed in many millions of little pockets might produce such
gunk as to enrobe the span in the sweat sticky fermentation of natto.

However I don't like the pseudo semantics.

So I envision any number html files chock full of
pseudo email addresses located in a set of hypertext
anchors. Bonus: the exchange-value of search
engines ceases to be a case of idolatry. With a critical mass
of gunk on the WWW, users become even more savvy
and selective in the search strings they will employ.
Librarians become everyone=E2=80=99s best friend.

Of course such gunk needs a nice nerdy word to
catch on and propagate as a meme that some folks tag some
taxonomists with the slogan "Tax the spammers".
If spam is maps backwards, anti-spam gunk, low-tech
style is "knug". A special type of kludge to
nudge along an etiquette of recognition, respect, sharing and
responsability. Anti spam poetry. Knug. A whole
new genre with a simple composition rule: must contain
bogus email addresses. I suspect after a while
the rule could be shortened: must contain one or more email
addresses.

Happy between the New Years (Civic and Chinese) :)

And now having come to the end of my composing
I'm grooving to Marley's "Small Axe"

*I have yet to test how Lynx works with more than
one <LINK> element whose "HREF" attribute takes as a
value a mailto protocol followed by an email
address. I suspect it defaults to invoking the mail utility
for the first address listed. Other addresses
would be read and copied by consulting the source html and
elegantly jumping to a shell to invoke a mail
utility. Can some kind subscriber of Humanist enlighten me
on or off list? Thanks.

> > Humanist
Discussion Group, Vol. 20, No.
81. > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance