20.374 events: Internet Research; Methods Network seminar

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 04:23:49 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns_at_VT.EDU> (77)
         Subject: cfp: Internet Research 8.0 Let's Play

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (35)
         Subject: Methods Network seminar 7 March

         Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 04:14:53 +0000
         From: Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns_at_VT.EDU>

         Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 04:18:57 +0000
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>

THEORETICAL APPROACHES TO VIRTUAL REPRESENTATIONS OF PAST ENVIRONMENTS

**Please note this seminar will be held on 7 March 2007**

A seminar run by Kate Devlin, Goldsmiths College, University of London.

Computer graphics have become a popular way of interpreting past
environments, for educational and entertainment value, and also as an
aid to research, but they are not subject to the same scrutiny that
text invites. Without supporting data to indicate the motivations for
particular representations of data, the images may merely be one
subjective picture of the past.

Something that proves particularly difficult when creating 3D
computer-generated representations of past environments is how to
provide context of an intangible nature, such as a social, temporal
or even emotional interaction with the representation. For example,
many representations are sterile, empty spaces, devoid of the people
who would have built and used them. We need to look at ways that
allow us to convey the information outside of the physical structure
of a scene.

This seminar will address the issues above and other questions
including:

          Why are virtual representations being created and are they really
being used?

          How do we reconcile the work of computer scientists with the work of
archaeologists?

          How do we introduce non-visual and intangible elements to our
representations?

For more information about the seminar visit http:// www.methodsnetwork.ac.uk/

The AHRC ICT Methods Network exists to promote and support the
application of advanced ICT methods in the arts and humanities.
Please see the Methods Network website for details about further
activities that are being run by, or in conjunction with, the Methods
Network. The Methods Network funds seminars, workshops and other
activities which demonstrate the impact on and value to arts and
humanities research of advanced ICT methods.

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London |
http://staff.cch.kcl.ac.uk/~wmccarty/.