20.221 great promise, not great threat

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:37:28 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org> (23)
         Subject: Re: 20.219 more than a great promise

   [2] From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl> (239)
         Subject: RE: 20.211 great promise, not great threat?

         Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:26:21 +0100
         From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org>

>Still, if there was ever a time for humanists to be
> making common cause with scientists, I'd say this is it. We share a
> common belief in the value of inquiry, and for both groups the
> suppression of inquiry is a far greater threat than the unlikely
> possibility that one side of the sciences/humanities division is
> ever going to have permanent ascendancy over the other.
>
> DS

Put that way, the argument that humanities should support the sciences
makes sense. But it begs the question "in what cause".

The most fundamental problem is that the whole premise of academia as
a bastion of "the spirit of inquiry" is under attack from the new
model of academia as a business.

But perhaps I was simply naive to have imagined there was ever any
other agenda than the good of individual faculty members and
institutions, from a career point of view. Except for a few wonderful
people here and there whose interests lay in pure inquiry, or in
inquiry for the betterment of mankind.

Lynda Williams, SF Author (http://www.okalrel.org)
2005 The Courtesan Prince - Edge SF and Fantasy
2006 "Harpy" in MYTHSPRING
2006 Guide to the Okal Rel Universe - Fandom Press