20.076 excuses for theory, ideas from practice

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:47:48 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Juan Garces" <juan.garces_at_kcl.ac.uk> (104)
         Subject: RE: 20.073 excuses for theory, ideas from practice

   [2] From: Zoe Borovsky <zoe_at_humnet.ucla.edu> (110)

         Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:32:42 +0100
         From: "Juan Garces" <juan.garces_at_kcl.ac.uk>

It seems to me like you are engaged in an effort to (re?)define the
discoursive space you are a Reader for. ;) An effort whose necessity I fully
share, not least because the often occurring notion that Humanities
Computing does not exist - I view I don=92t share.

You bring up two distinctions that rarely occur in its pure form -
theory/practice, digital humanities/humanities computing. I would like to
make one brief comment on each:

(1) Theory, as critical meta-discourse, resurfaces in times when practice
becomes in some way problematic. I would argue that at this juncture, when
digital technologies reshape the way we produce knowledge in the Humanities,
we are still struggling with understanding what is happening with the impact
of these new technologies on our discourse. Indeed, we are discovering that
we perhaps had not always thought through with thoroughness what precisely
we were doing before the digital impact in the first place. It is, however,
also surprising to see how many digital projects seem to engage in digital
Humanities without explicit or apparent reflexion on what they do. Practise,
often without Theory, seems to be a large component of what we (but who are
we?) do - a sort of technical support for the real academics. This is, of
course, necessary, but certainly not enough to establish an identifiable
discipline.

(2) Humanities computing has to find a voice vis-=E0-vis not only digital
humanities (in the way you used that term), but also vis-=E0-vis the
Humanities at large, digital or otherwise. Only if we mobilise recognisable
Humanities expertise of our own are we in a position to not only give
support, but also forge a timely academic discourse of our own, which is in
a position to produce change in the Humanities. Change, of course, not just
for the sake of it or to be technically hip, but in order to not only answer
the question the Humanities are asking with digital means, but begin to ask
new, different questions whose answer digital technologies might produce.
That would be, I would like to put forward, a genuine contribution of a
genuine discipline - including _both_ digital humanities _and_ humanities
computing.

I hope I made some sense.

Yours,

Juan