19.654 grand challenges

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:47:39 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Erik Hatcher <esh6h_at_virginia.edu> (22)
         Subject: Re: 19.652 a "grand challenge"

   [2] From: Geoffrey Rockwell <georock_at_mcmaster.ca> (81)

         Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:40:36 +0000
         From: Erik Hatcher <esh6h_at_virginia.edu>

On Mar 14, 2006, at 2:24 AM, Humanist Discussion Group (by way of
Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:
>So, please look around for the phrase "grand challenge" and similar
>such newcomers and report back, if you will, in what prose they have
>bedded down, what work they seem to be up to.
>
>Comments about this sort of thing?

My only, modern, reference to the phrase comes from the US DARPA
"Grand Challenge":

          <http://www.darpa.mil/GRANDCHALLENGE/>

Defined as such:

"DARPA Grand Challenge
Created in response to a Congressional and DoD mandate, DARPA Grand
Challenge is a field test intended to accelerate research and
development in autonomous ground vehicles that will help save
American lives on the battlefield. The Grand Challenge brings
together individuals and organizations from industry, the R&D
community, government, the armed services, academia, students,
backyard inventors, and automotive enthusiasts in the pursuit of a
technological challenge."

We've had a top notch local contender to the Grand Challenge:

          <http://www.teamjefferson.com/>

Erik