19.542 critical thinking

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:35:18 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (46)
         Subject: critical thinking about critical thinking

   [2] From: Ryan Deschamps <Ryan.Deschamps_at_Dal.Ca> (45)
         Subject: Re: 19.534 (critical) thinking and button pushing

         Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:23:14 +0000
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>

On this subject of some recent discussion, I quote from Alec Fisher,
Critical Thinking: An Introduction (Cambridge, 2001) -- who on page 1
ironically demonstrates the need for what he professes to be
teaching. After noting the putative failure of traditional efforts to
teach critical skills indirectly, in courses dedicated to the
conventional disciplinary subjects, Fisher notes that, "The result is
that many teachers have become interested in teaching these skills
*directly*. This is what this text aims to do. It teaches a range of
*transferable* thinking skills, but it does so *explicitly* and
*directly*.... they will be taught in a way that expressly aims to
facilitate their transfer to other subjects and other contexts"
(original emphasis). I am reminded of my hero Dr Johnson's railing
against cant, i.e. "the particular language or jargon of a class....
a pet phrase, a trick of words; esp. a stock phrase that is much
affected at the time, or is repeared as a matter of habit or form"
(OED). "Transferable skills" is certainly one of our current pets.
But what does it mean?

Consider a skill, say carpentry or brick-laying. What, do you suppose,
would a master carpenter think of justifying what he or she does by
the claim that it is transferable? The implication seems to be that
carpentry is not or cannot be valued for what it accomplishes
directly, rather for how it can be used in some "other contexts" --
unspecified. One would hope that a master carpenter would have deep
insights by virtue of his or her skill into the building of things
and could, perhaps, adapt if wood were not to hand, though only to a
limited degree. (Stone-cutting, for example, is a very different
skill.) But if you're going to hire a carpenter, you'll do so for
the skills in carpentry, and you would certainly look for a carpenter
who actually cared about his or her particular skill and wasn't
minded to be transferring it somewhere else, no?

I am thinking, then, that selling what we do as "transferable"
devalues it and so makes us quite vulnerable. It's always been clear,
has it not, that success in the world does not require an advanced
degree. (I don't suppose I'm the only one who was reminded of this
fact by family members not as privileged as I was, and later by
successful but less well-educated persons than I.) Perhaps it is true, as a
colleague of mine at Toronto used to say, that we need to "package"
ourselves so as to be attractive to those who pay for us. But it
seems to me that *critical* thinking is required to keep the goods
from becoming the packaging.

Comments?

Yours,
WM

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London | Kay House, 7
Arundel Street | London WC2R 3DX | U.K. | +44 (0)20 7848-2784 fax:
-2980 || willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/