19.534 (critical) thinking and button pushing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 06:26:18 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 06:10:30 +0000
         From: "Alexandre L. Solleiro" <thepeck_at_gmail.com>
         Subject: Re: (critical) thinking and button pushing

What would Gutenberg think of the Internet?

You raise indeed a good question, that of "can we entrust our
children with our knowledge?"
History answers it, and reveals that Time solves all. Adoption is
gradual, mistakes are commited.

By my readings of past messages in this group, I understand that you
fear that "ultimate empowerment", through a file and its VR, could be
misachieved: the individual would miss the opportunity, and be in
fact a victim of full individual visibility.
Precisely, then, your question would be "can our children achieve
full understanding of this knowledge, and these tools, that we're passing on?"

I reckon that Humanist Computing (I dare to coin it along with you,
as in this group it is a discipline) is about seeking saturation of
knowledge. What you are trying to achieve is full visibility and
classification of all information, through methods, formats and
protocols. Was it not the objective of the encyclopedia?
Isn't it said that nothing is new? Wasn't it suggested that "nothing
is created, nothing is destroyed, all is transformed"?

As you put in an October discussion, Purpose is what finally
structures all movements. Today's Purpose is empowerment. What
Nietzsche called the "will to power" : every individual masters his
and hers destiny, setting goals and boundaries, reacting and adapting
to environments, moving forward in a round world, living by their
heart. Your discipline aims to achieve by the way of tools what all
humans can achieve by the ways of the mind, and the heart: positioning.

Worry not: even if we achieve, through the Internet, the use of XML
and semantic classification, total transparence, in the end only the
individual's (or the organization's) will to power will set one's destiny.
Keep on working, as only society changes.

"Einstein Deplores Use of Atom Bomb", New York Times, 8/19/46

Cheers to all, have a round 2006!

Alexandre Solleiro
Y2K youth

PS ;