19.428 quotation from St Bonaventure's Itinerarium?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:58:37 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:45:28 +0000
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
         Subject: quotation on making

The following quotation is attributed to St Bonaventure, Itinerarium
mentis in Deum, by Richard Kearney, The Wake of Imagination
(Hutchinson, 1988, p. 125):

>The maker plans before making an object, and then he makes the
>object as planned. The maker produces an external work as close to
>the internal similitude as he possibly can; and were he able to
>produce an object that would both love and know him, he would do so
>by all means; and if this produced object were to know its maker, it
>would do so in terms of the similitude from which the artist had
>worked; and if the eyes of knowledge of the produced object were so
>clouded that it could not look up above itself in order to know its
>maker, the similitude from which it had been produced would have to
>come down to the level of a nature which the object could apprehend and know.

Before I go to the Opera omnia and start looking, let me ask if
anyone here recognizes the source. I have already looked through the
Itinerarium online and not found anything like the above.

Many thanks.

Yours,
WM

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London | Kay House, 7
Arundel Street | London WC2R 3DX | U.K. | +44 (0)20 7848-2784 fax:
-2980 || willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/