19.365 Wikipedia

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:09:27 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Gabriel BODARD <gabriel.bodard_at_kcl.ac.uk> (22)
         Subject: Re: Wikipedia

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (37)
         Subject: imitation and independence

         Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:02:56 +0100
         From: Gabriel BODARD <gabriel.bodard_at_kcl.ac.uk>

Norman Hinton <hinton_at_springnet1.com> wrote:

> A bizarre suggestion -- don't use a reference work unless you are
> prepared to use other reference works.

Or rather, don't use this reference work unless you are prepared to follow its
references. Don't confuse the Wikipedia with the Encyclopedia Britannica and
then complain when it isn't. The Wikipedia is a useful first stop, and some
questions are answered on the first stop. Some questions are sufficiently
important that I wouldn't trust the Encyclopedia Britannica or Oxford Classical
Dictionary to give me a full, reliable answer: but they will give me a starting
point and hopefully some references. I don't see what's bizarre about that.

--
Gabriel BODARD