19.359 contemplation and computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:17:13 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:10:32 +0100
         From: "pjmoran" <noci_at_cox.net>
         Subject: Your acquaintance from Leeds and 19.337

Dr. Cummings: I am eaten up with hubris. I know I'm leaving the
house -- just looking for trouble. I can't wait to become
embroiled in a situation wherein
I supply the opposite side of a telephone conversation (as you
say your acquaintance from Leeds does). I hadn't thought
of doing this, though I have gone across movie theatres to join
people who were talking and introduced myself with "I thought
that as long as we were all in the same conversation, I should
come and introduce myself." [This has always stifled further
verbiage.] To be truthful, I'm in my 60s and the groups I have cowed
with my presence have been teenagers or young adults. I don't know how
the providing of answers and comments to cell phone
users will work, but I'm bloody well going to try it.
[Patricia J. Moran, doctoral candidate, Florida State University,
<mailto:noci_at_cox.net>noci_at_cox.net, 850-243-4081]