19.274 good news: funding for Stanford Encyc of Philosophy, for scholars affected by Katrina

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:21:42 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (32)
         Subject: funding for the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

   [2] From: Dot Porter <dporter_at_uky.edu> (80)
         Subject: RCH Fellowship for Scholars Affected by Katrina

         Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:58:22 +0100
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>

The following piece of very good news from Martin Hodgson of the
King's College London library concerning the Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy (http://plato.stanford.edu/):

>Dear colleague,
>
>The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is an online philosophy
>reference resource that is free and open access, allowing the
>education community to share and read for free the writings of
>the finest experts in their fields. Following consultation
>with the UK education community, feedback indicated that this
>is a prime resource for those teaching and studying philosophy.
>
>Public funding for the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy by the
>National Endowment for the Humanities is scheduled to begin
>winding down this Autumn. A fund-raising campaign was launched to build
>a permanent operating fund to ensure that this important resource
>would remain open access and freely available worldwide.
>
>As a result, we are pleased to announce that the Joint Information
>Systems Committee (JISC) is contributing to the operating fund on
>behalf of the UK education community to secure the future of the
>Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy online.

As someone who has used this online encyclopedia many times, I also
can testify to its usefulness. In situations of interdisciplinary
research it becomes more important than ever that we have solid
introductory material in philosophy and all other subjects -- and
that this material be circulated online without cost.

Yours,
WM

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London | Kay House, 7
Arundel Street | London WC2R 3DX | U.K. | +44 (0)20 7848-2784 fax:
-2980 || willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/