19.252 many taxonomies

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 07:23:53 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (28)
         Subject: being Oxymandias

   [2] From: Ryan Deschamps <Ryan.Deschamps_at_Dal.Ca> (57)
         Subject: Re: 19.249 many taxonomies

         Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 07:46:54 +0100
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>

As someone who spent years and funds marking up a text, I've had
Oxymandian megalomaniacal moments -- "Look on my text, ye Mighty, and
dispair!" Perhaps there is this difference: that the new speed of
change has been such that unlike Shelley's King of Kings I can gaze
on my own half-decayed monument and learn something. In Humanist
19.240 I pointed Gould's and Vrba's sentence -- that taxonomies
"reflect (or even create) different theories about the structure of
the world" -- toward markup. Dino Buzzetti has elegantly and quietly
summed up what I meant:

>My point is that we have to accept this basic fact and come to
>realize that markup is essentially ambiguous and indeterminate like
>text. And try to put this indeterminacy to good use by developing
>appropriate tools to deal with it. Otherwise we have to resign
>to markup overload and to live with fixed taxonomies.

Some of us, with Feyerabendian passion, won't live with fixed
taxonomies but war against them. But how much better (to quote
something from my youth) to make love not war. So, again to the
question I had in mind, clarified thanks to Dino: what tools? I
envision something like a cross between textual markup and relational
database design -- i.e. something designed *from the get-go* for the
functionality that would appear to lie between those two kinds. I
know I am dreaming, but is this a dream worth attempting to implement?

Yours,
WM

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London | Kay House, 7
Arundel Street | London WC2R 3DX | U.K. | +44 (0)20 7848-2784 fax:
-2980 || willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/