19.166 beyond disciplines

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:56:36 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:54:18 +0100
         From: Hartmut Krech <kr538_at_uni-bremen.de>
         Subject: Re: 19.165 beyond disciplines

Willard,

in an earlier contribution to this continuing discussion (Humanist
18.669), Ryan Deschamps made the important point -- with a view to
the original meaning of the word -- that "a discipline consists of a
body of (living and dead) disciples, rather than an objective body of
'knowledge.'" Therefore, it would also be quite fitting to speak of
"(sub-)cultures" of knowledge about certain subject areas with
respect to disciplines. Apparently, this understanding of disciplines
is rather old (and antedates the actual term "discipline"), if you
see my quotation from Aristotle (Humanist 17.798). It is opposed to
the designation of philosophical schools as "haireseis" or "sects" or
"factions" by Diogenes Laertios in his 'Lives and Teachings of the
Philosophers.' Of course, we are now aware that cultures also have
their conceptual and practical limitations and particular views of the world.

Ryan's remarks are not without consequence with respect to the
current uses and misuses of interdisciplinary or even
extra-disciplinary studies. At least in regard to German
universities, it could be shown that the unexplainable upsurge of
"interdisciplinary" studies during the past decades coincided with
drastic cutbacks of the budgets allocated for undergraduate teaching.
The statement is well justified that the quality of university
education has suffered significantly from this doubtful popularity of
interdisciplinary studies. Currently, there is a student-to-professor
ratio of up to 200 to one professor at certain university departments
in Germany, as compared to twenty students to one professor in the
Netherlands or in Australia. This situation is also reflected in a
growing number of unemployed academics (about 3,500 only in one
northern German city that is heralded as the City of Science of the
Year). Of course, the specializations of these unemployed academics
is of no interest at all, when it comes to relieve them from social
welfare benefits. This is a vicious circle reproducing itself, and
interdisciplinarity does not seem to be the answer.

Of course, we could emphasize the technical or methodological aspects
of the disciplines, as it was customary to differentiate disciplines
by the word endings of their names. There is still a difference
between "ethnology" and "ethnography", to take just one example.
About twenty years ago, I proposed the terms "ethnotechnics" and
"ethnopraxis" in my dissertation to open up new possibilities of
study and practical work for anthropologists. So far, I have not been
given the opportunity to elaborate these possibilities.

Best regards,
Hartmut Krech
Bremen, Germany
The Culture and History of Science Page
http://ww3.de/krech

Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty