19.132 London and the Google'd world

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 06:33:05 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 06:18:32 +0100
         From: "Ken Cousins" <kcousins_at_gvpt.umd.edu>
         Subject: Coverage of events in London

Thanks for the update Willard.

While slogging through my various listserv messages and routine blog
visits this morning, I came across a link to an ABC News report, that
integrates their coverage (and that of others) with GoogleEarth. I
must say, it's *quite* impressive, and got my mind rolling on how
this approach might be expanded in the future.

Summary, with links:
http://augmentation.blogspot.com/2005/07/interactive-news-maps.html

Since Google Earth made its API publicly available, a number of very
useful "hacks" have already appeared. Although many more have been
developed for Google Maps, I strongly suspect that the trend will be
towards the more feature-rich Google Earth. I've already seen hints
that communities are developing that link popular photo tagging sites
(e.g., Flickr) with the *.kml format, which may ultimately allow
Wiki-like annotation of local maps.

For example:
www.myjavaserver.com/~weathermaps/weather

  From there, it's not a huge leap to imagine all varieties of
geographically referenced knowledge communities emerging.

Boggles the mind, truly.

Ken Cousins
Harrison Program on the Future Global Agenda
Department of Government and Politics
3114 P Tydings Hall
University of Maryland, College Park
T: (301) 405-6862
F: (301) 314-9690
<mailto:kcousins_at_gvpt.umd.edu>kcousins_at_gvpt.umd.edu

"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
         Albert Einstein

<http://www.bsos.umd.edu/gvpt/kcousins>www.bsos.umd.edu/gvpt/kcousins
http://augmentation.blogspot.com

>>> 19.128 recent events in London

Apart from the obvious, what's remarkable about these events is the
massive role all forms of (computer-mediated) communication are
playing in drawing people together, uniting communities, summoning
help, giving reassurance and contributing intelligence to the current
investigation. Communication has, I suspect, played a very large part
in helping to maintain calm and order amidst all the violence and
chaos. This makes me wonder to what degree terrorism as now practiced
depends on a certain level of public communication -- some, but not
as much as we now have at our command.