19.112 words and pictures

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:33:58 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Douglas Galbi" <Douglas.Galbi_at_fcc.gov> (12)
         Subject: words and pictures

   [2] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (156)
                 Lachance)
         Subject: Re: 19.102 visualization and narrative

         Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:22:52 +0100
         From: "Douglas Galbi" <Douglas.Galbi_at_fcc.gov>

>From: Jan Christoph Meister <jan-c-meister_at_uni-hamburg.de>
> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:25:55 +0200

>Personally, I tend to agree with the sentiment expressed by Gerda and
>Eric: a word says more than thousand pictures.

I've actually collected real behavioral data on this issue. From about
1890 to 1995 in personal use, persons in the U.S. have spoken about
12,000 words on the telephone for each photograph they have made. See
http://www.galbithink.org/sense-s6.htm#wpp1

Biologically, sound and sight are closely integrated in the living body
from the earliest stages of making sense. See "Sense in Communication"
at http://www.galbithink.org/lessmore.htm

Douglas Galbi