18.460 blogging Humanist

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:26:16 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Lisa L. Spangenberg" (15)
                 <lisa_at_digitalmedievalist.com>
         Subject: Re: 18.459 Humanist and blogging

   [2] From: Jessica Perry Hekman <jphekman_at_arborius.net> (27)

   [3] From: Ross Scaife <scaife_at_gmail.com> (6)

         Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:46:51 +0000
         From: "Lisa L. Spangenberg" <lisa_at_digitalmedievalist.com>

Pat Galloway <galloway_at_ischool.utexas.edu>

>The list is relatively trouble-free
>and simple (or at least Willard makes it look that way) and best of all
>from my point of view as an archivist, easy to archive for the long term
>(though a blog might be even easier), but email may not indeed be the most
>flexible way for all possible participants to access our discussions.

I'm afraid it's trouble-free only because of the efforts of Willard and his
compatriots.

Much as I endorse, and deliberately use web logs and wikis, and would enjoy
one based on Humanist, I fear the evils of blog comment spam would add an
additional burden to Willard's already long list.

Comment spam, even with various controls in place, is actually harder to
deal with than email spam. The various solutions involving identity proof
and log in would both add to Willard's tasks, and reduce the effectiveness
of moving to a blog.

Lisa