17.748 development of American English usage?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 17:03:36 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:29:22 +0100
             From: "Simon LeFranc" <simonlefranc@HOTMAIL.COM>
             Subject: development of American English usage

    I am looking for projects or archives (especially digital) that document
    the development of American English in (approximately) 1780-1840,
    particularly with regard to:

    the first truly "American" grammars and dictionaries
    competing 18th and 19th c. grammars and grammarians
    competing approaches to teaching grammar and usage
    prescriptivists vs. descriptivists (and who won)

    In addition, I suppose the American idiom began its emergence with the
    first settlers, but I am curious: when did American educators stop looking
    to England for language authority and rule-setting?

    If you are aware of such projects, I would be grateful if you would post them.
    Christine