17.122 silence and publishing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 14:00:08 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:51:23 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: be of good cheer

    Dear colleagues,

    Tomorrow morning early I'm off to the Tyrol, in Austria, for a week of
    hill-walking. (Please note, before envy overcomes you (as otherwise it
    might), that this is my sole holiday until Christmas or thereabouts.)
    Having left no time for our assistant editor to pick up the various bits
    and pieces concerned with publishing Humanist, I am constrained to let our
    long conversation fall silent for the week. You may of course continue to
    submit messages. Please do, if the spirit moves you.

    A recent enquiry about a lost message, asking if perhaps it might not have
    been deemed suitable for publication here, reminds me that it's been a
    while since I issued my standard reassurance: that no message is ever made
    to disappear without the author of it being told, and told why. This
    happens so seldom that it would almost be right to say it never happens.
    Surely these days everyone is vexed by spam, and I suspect many of you
    receive as much or more e-mail as I do (an average of 315 messages/day). So
    I am sure you can understand how easily a message from Humanist, or from
    anyone to me, can get lost. Again, if you do not see a submission published
    on Humanist within 48 hours of submitting it, please send it to me again. I
    apologise on behalf of a very flawed world. Remember when we used to say
    that electronic communications would liberate us from its problems?

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/