17.636 Greek OCR and new Hebrew font

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 03:14:14 EST

<x-flowed>
                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

   [1] From: DrWender@AOL.COM (18)
         Subject: Re: 17.631 OCR and ancient Greek

   [2] From: Frank Ritchel Ames <frank.ames@SBL-SITE.ORG> (51)
         Subject: New Unicode Hebrew Font for Biblical Studies

         Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:07:33 +0000
         From: DrWender@AOL.COM

In einer eMail vom 11.02.04 09:48:35 (MEZ) Mitteleuropäische Zeit schreibt
willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU
forwarding an email from Patrick Durusau:

>Solving the problem of recognizing distorted text is directly
>relevant to OCR of damged or poorly reproduced texts.

Maybe there is a great jump in OCR technology.
But I'm in doubt. I remember the day advancing from
an older matrix based OCR program to a Kurtzweil
Reader with implemented 'intelligent' features. In the
effort to produce sense, the "poorly reproduced"
word "König" (king; with bad recognizable &ouml;)
was not read "Konig" but "Honig" (honey). The
correction by human post-processing was easier
with 'diplomatic' OCR, before introducing 'intelligent'
methods...
How context-sensitive the OCR procedures are
nowadays?

Herbert Wender