17.325 open content

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 01:31:30 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Ross Scaife <scaife@uky.edu> (25)
             Subject: Re: 17.322 "open content" in the humanities?

       [2] From: "Joris van.Zundert" (9)
                     <Joris.van.Zundert@niwi.knaw.nl>
             Subject: 17.322 "open content" in the humanities?

             Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:19:44 +0100
             From: Ross Scaife <scaife@uky.edu>

    On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 01:34 AM, Alexandre Enkerli wrote:

    >The academic community seems to be full of projects and ideas for opening
    >up academic content with things like the Open Access > Initiative
    ><http://www.soros.org/openaccess/>, the Open Knowledge Initiative
    ><http://web.mit.edu/oki/>, MIT's Open Courseware <http://ocw.mit.edu/>, the
    >Open Textbook Project <http://otp.inlimine.org/>, and the PLoS
    ><http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/>.
    >But Humanities seem to be underrepresented in most of these projects. I'm
    >sure there's a lot of projects going on to open humanistic content but is
    >there something that has really taken off already?

    I agree that humanists seem to be slow in jumping aboard this train, though
    a philosopher is running what is AFAIK the most important blog about the
    Open Access movement (http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html
    ). In some cases part of the problem may be that e-materials in existing
    projects were acquired and/or built up in days before the importance of
    this issue was clear, making it harder (though not necessarily impossible)
    to apply the formal license retroactively.

    Two positive examples in Classics come to mind:

    Leeds International Classical Studies (a journal)
    http://www.doaj.org/alpha/L/link10171.tkl

    Demos: Classical Athenian Democracy (Chris Blackwell)
    http://www.stoa.org/projects/demos/home
    "The contents of the articles in DÄ“mos are licensed under a Creative
    Commons License (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike-1.0). The scripts
    that drive the site are licensed under a Creative Commons License
    (NonCommercial-1.0)."