17.327 scanning specifications

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 01:31:00 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@ischool.utexas.edu> (22)
             Subject: Re: 17.323 scanning specifications

       [2] From: { brad brace } <bbrace@eskimo.com> (21)

             Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:18:06 +0100
             From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@ischool.utexas.edu>

    In the mid-1990s the resolution for affordable scanning was not great. Plus
    the notion that the original photograph and/or its negative will always
    stay viewable in the required detail is a misconception, no matter how
    carefully they are preserved. The cost-benefit of imaging for preservation
    can easily be represented graphically: X-axis time, Y-axis quality. First
    guarantee that both the original and the image of it are preserved
    optimally, which in the latter case means without loss of information but
    in the former case cannot. Determine the difference in quality between the
    image and the original. Draw a horizontal line to make a temporal graph of
    the unchanging image quality. Then represent the (better) quality of the
    original somewhere to the north of that of the image to begin with, but
    draw the curve charting its inevitable deliquescence over time (there is a
    huge literature on this). For any time after the two curves intersect, you
    have justified the imaging and the maintenance of the image, because the
    image will now be better than the original and past this point the original
    will get worse and worse. The main trouble with imaging projects is that
    they are frequently targeted at short-term goals and often have little
    serious commitment (or institutional capacity to make such a commitment) to
    the preservation of the image unchanged in quality and still viewable over
    the long term, long enough for the curves to cross.
    Pat Galloway
    University of Texas at Austin