17.248 critical reflections on publishing, narratives and plagues

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 02:00:39 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (41)
             Subject: more critical reflections

       [2] From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@rmit.edu.au> (26)
             Subject: Re: 17.243 critical reflections on publishing

       [3] From: Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk> (53)
             Subject: Re: 17.244 narratives and plagues

             Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:55:53 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

    While I appreciate the need for security of computing systems (as of my
    home, office and so on), making security the first concern does not have an
    encouraging history. The tighter the controls the less the liberty to do
    anything new, unusual, interesting. I realise that extreme control, except
    in a totalitarian state, is not at issue. But control calls for judgement
    about what to allow, and all too often those in academic computing centres
    who make the judgements have little understanding of the academic way of
    life their services are meant to support. To this day, for example, some of
    those in computing centres appear to assume that people do their work in
    offices during office hours, and so services can be controlled on the basis
    of IP addresses assigned to the institution in question. That simply does
    not fit the way academics work.

    Years ago, when I first heard about the Web, I made enquiries with my main
    institutional computing centre (where I had worked for years) about getting
    access to the trial Web server it had set up. I was an enthusiastic gopher
    architect at the time, like my friend Bob Kraft, but was feeling a bit
    confined by the technical limitations of gopher. Fine, my friends and
    former colleagues in the centre said, let's set up an account for you and
    we'll see what happens. Then the security man found out about this, wrote
    to me and asked for the fixed IP address of my office machine. I explained
    that as my job did not permit such playing around (I was then employed in a
    non-academic position), I had to work from home. These were the days of
    what we now quaintly call "narrowband", i.e. dial-up only, and so no fixed
    IP. The security man said, sorry, no fixed IP, no Web account, because we
    have to keep our system secure. End of conversation. Then a colleague in a
    very small, more hackerish computing centre in the same university found
    out about my interest. I don't think he had a clue as to what I wanted the
    account for (he was a hacker/system administrator, not an academic), but he
    did like to see new things used. So he set up an account for me. I tried
    out the Web and never looked back. I immediately began experimenting, saw
    enough of the academic potential and began telling everyone who would
    listen. If I had not had the renegade alternative, I would not have come
    close to the Web for some years. Since my job at the time was to keep the
    academics in the humanities informed about emergent possibilities etc. the
    delay would have been consequential.

    Ah, security. The only safe computer is an unplugged computer.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/