17.247 In memoriam: Antonio Zampolli

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 04:43:05 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:39:33 +0100
             From: Harold Short <harold.short@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: Antonio Zampolli

    Many colleagues, returning to their institutions for the new academic
    year, will only just be learning the terrible news of Antonio Zampolli's
    death. Professor Zampolli was President of the Association for Literary
    and Linguistic Computing (ALLC) from 1983 until his untimely passing,
    and was indeed one of the founding spirits who brought the Association
    into being in 1973. He was also a great enthusiast for collaboration,
    recognising and exemplifying the intrinsic inter-disciplinary nature of
    computing in the humanistic disciplines. He was a strong supporter of
    the annual joint international conferences held by the ALLC and the
    Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH) beginning in Toronto
    in 1989, attending - and making a significant impression! - on almost
    all of them. He also, of course, played a major role in the setting up and
    funding of the Text Encoding Initiative, and of the transition
    of the activity 12 years later into the TEI Consortium.

    In our roles in the two major professional associations in humanities
    computing, and in the Text Encoding Initiative Consortium, all three
    being organisations which owe a particular and great debt of gratitude
    to Professor Zampolli, we write to express the profound shock and sorrow
    of members of these organisations, feelings that will be shared by many,
    many other colleagues around the world. The many intellectual fields in
    which Antonio Zampolli was so active have lost a true and formidable
    champion.

    Obituaries written by some of those who worked closely with Antonio
    over the years will be placed on the ALLC, ACH and TEI web sites,
    and an obituary will be published in Literary and Linguistic Computing
    to mark his long support and encouragement of the journal.
    All three organisations have begun discussions on appropriate ways
    to pay tribute to his life and work and to establish lasting memorials
    to his achievements. We would be pleased to receive suggestions
    along these lines from any members of our communities.

    Harold Short
    Chair, ALLC and Acting Chair, TEI Consortium Board

    John Unsworth
    President, ACH and retiring Chair, TEI Consortium Board