17.125 research on blogging

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 01:44:12 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@rmit.edu.au> (40)
             Subject: Re: 17.116 research on blogging

       [2] From: "gerda" <gerda@bgumail.bgu.ac.il> (5)

             Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:14:03 +0100
             From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@rmit.edu.au>

    At 7:01 +0100 24/6/03, "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard
    McCarty wrote:
    >Has anyone studied the demographics of blogging? The linguistics? Is there
    >a particular kind of discourse characteristic of this mode (as would seem
    >impressionistically to be the case)? Is it conducted by particular kinds of
    >people, e.g. esp. by Americans, not so much by Canadians, or more so? those
    >under or over the age of 30? Is it more a nocturnal than a daytime habit,
    >more personal than professional?

    Jill Walker:
    http://www.huminf.no/~jill/
    is a good place to start, including her old list of research blogs (no
    longer maintained due to number of research blogs out there).

    There are a lot of education blogs now, and a lot of blogs on blogs. (I'm
    offline, if people want a list of beginning URL's I'll send if needed.)

    There is work on what is characterised as the 'blogosphere' which is
    measuring, visualising, and mapping it in various ways. The field is
    rapidly expanding and I'd assume you'd find at a minimum PhD researcher on
    each of these topics. In my own research I am wanting to develop tools
    to visualise a blog community of students in a common subject area to see
    if that aids in what I tend to characterise as 'emergent networks',
    'emergent communities', and 'emergent knowledge objects'.

    Also just noticed this on the AoIR list:

    At 12:01 -0400 21/6/03, air-l-request@aoir.org wrote:
    >Guide to the Blogosphere
    > Be sure to take a look at Mark Glaser's "Guide to the Blogosphere,"
    >published on Online Journalism Review. (Chart
    >(http://www.ojr.org/ojr/uploads/1056011147.htm) and accompanying article
    >(http://www.ojr.org/ojr/glaser/1056050270.php) .) The chart is especially
    >useful in determining where you want to spend your blog-reading time; it
    >categorizes some of the most "influential" general blogs as well as
    >media/journalism/blogging blogs in terms of political leanings. Smack in
    >the middle (where they should be) are media blogs such as E-Media Tidbits

    cheers
    Adrian Miles

    --

    + MelbourneDAC2003 digital arts and culture conference [http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/dac/] + interactive desktop video developer [http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/] + hypertext rmit [http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au] + InterMedia:UiB. university of bergen [http://www.intermedia.uib.no]

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:33:25 +0100 From: "gerda" <gerda@bgumail.bgu.ac.il> Subject: Re: 17.116 research on blogging

    forgive my ignorance. I must have missed/deleted something - what is "blogging?"

    Gerda Elata-Alster

    [PS -- Here is an *excellent* opportunity to produce a simple, straightforward definition. Who could resist? --WM]