17.111 history in terms

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 03:48:59 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:45:21 +0100
             From: "Patrik Svensson" <patrik.svensson@engelska.umu.se>
             Subject: RE: 17.066 history in terms

    Dear Willard,

    This is an interesting issue (thanks for bringing it up). I wonder about
    what is progress or development here. I feel that both "computing in the
    humanities" and "humanities computing" have an "instrumental ring" to
    them. We use "the humanities and information technology" (in Swedish) to
    put emphasis on the importance of bringing the two together (as
    approximate equals but with "the humanities" first), and to include
    studies of "cyberspace" as well as the use of technology as a tool and
    creative/artistic use of technology etc. I find "information technology"
    more inclusive and less instrumental than "computing" or "computers". I
    am not saying that this is necessarily better, but I think it reflects
    our goals: promoting humanities perspectives on technology and creating
    a meeting place between the humanities and technology (and the people
    representing these sides) starting out from the humanities side and not
    excluding technology as an integral part of what we do (and as a
    consequence the physical HUMlab abounds with technology as well as
    books, an aquarium, colors, sofas and people communicating). We have had
    no problems with "selling" this label, and there has been a great deal
    of national interest in the area (we are probably helped here by our
    name as well - HUMlab - which is concise and to the point).

    Patrik Svensson

    Patrik Svensson, HUMlab, Ume University, Sweden
    http://www.humlab.umu.se/patrik/
    http://www.humlab.umu.se/