Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 17, No. 97.
Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:48:38 +0100
From: Constantin Orasan <C.Orasan@WLV.AC.UK>
Subject: RESEARCH STUDENTSHIP IN QUESTION ANSWERING (£7,500 per year)
RESEARCH STUDENTSHIP IN QUESTION ANSWERING (£7,500 per year)
The University of Wolverhampton, School of Humanities, Languages and
Social Sciences invites applications for a four-year-funded research
studentship in Computational Linguistics. The successful candidate is
expected to develop a question answering system for English which
employs coreference resolution and temporal reasoning. We are looking
for candidates with a good honours degree in Computational Linguistics,
Computer Science or Information Sciences, with programming skills and
some experience in Natural Language Processing.
- degree in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or Information
- experience with at least one of the following programming languages:
Java, Perl, C++
- experience in Natural Language Processing
- good command of the English language
- Master's degree in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or
- experience in question answering, coreference resolution or temporal
- familiarity with a wide range of programming environments and
Applications should be sent to
School of Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences
University of Wolverhampton
and must include:
- completed application form (available for download from
- copy of university degree
- copy of transcript listing all university marks (in English)
- evidence of postgraduate qualification if applicable
- a covering letter in which candidates explain why they have applied
for the studentship, give details of their research
interests/experience, background, programming skills and an outline of
any experience in Natural Language Processing or Linguistics.
Applications should be made both by email and surface mail. The closing
date for applications is 21st July 2003.
The short-listed applicants will be interviewed by email and telephone
in the week beginning 28th July 2003.
The studentship includes a maintenance grant of £7,500 GBP a year and
also covers the tuition fees for 4 years.
The successful candidate is to start the studentship on 1st October
2003, joining the Research Group in Computational Linguistics
(http://clg.wlv.ac.uk) at the University of Wolverhampton. She or he
will be working in a vibrant research environment, engaging in active
For further information/queries, please contact
Constantin Orasan, tel. +44 1902 322 623,
-- Constantin Orasan Researcher Computational Linguistics Group University of Wolverhampton http://www.wlv.ac.uk/~in6093/
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Wed Jun 18 2003 - 01:55:04 EDT