17.091 streaming video

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 02:10:46 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:05:39 +0100
             From: Christian Wittern <wittern@kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
             Subject: Re: 17.089 streaming video for lecture series

    "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard
    McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>)"
    <willard@lists.village.virginia.edu> writes:

    > The Electronic Literature
    > Organization's recent "e(X)literature" conference on preserving
    > technologically endangered works of electronic fiction and poetry
    > (co-sponsored with the University of California's Digital Cultures
    > project) adopted just such an approach, with complete MP3s of all the
    > talks, including speaker introductions and audience Q&A:
    >
    > http://dc-mrg.english.ucsb.edu/conference2003.html
    >
    > In most cases full-text papers or slides are available too. We've
    > already heard from people who have used and appreciated these resources
    > who were not able to be at the event in person.

    This is a great idea and wonderful for those of us who could not
    attend this conference. I am however mildly surprised to see all the
    papers, and even the images(!) sitting on the server wrapped up in a
    variety of the MS-WORD format that even my wordview program can not
    grok! Does it cost so much more ressources to save these documents as
    HTML or some other portable format that is usable across different
    computing platforms?

    All the best,

    Christian Wittern

    --

    Christian Wittern Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University 47 Higashiogura-cho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8265, JAPAN