17.090 inage-enhancement

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 02:10:20 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Roberto Rosselli Del Turco (42)
                     <rosselli@ling.unipi.it>
             Subject: Re: 17.088 an image-enhancement manual?

       [2] From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mk235@umail.umd.edu> (12)
             Subject: image enhancement

             Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:04:12 +0100
             From: Roberto Rosselli Del Turco <rosselli@ling.unipi.it>

    Dear Willard,

    Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) wrote:
    > Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:43:38 +0100
    > From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
    > >I am involved in a project to produce an electronic edition of
    a single
    >medieval manuscript. This edition will of course provide high-definition
    >images of the ms pages. Some of the pages in the manuscript are in poor
    >condition, with among other things bleed-through of ink from the other side
    >of the leaf. We anticipate that users of the edition will want digitally to
    >enhance these pages or parts of them. If "enhancement" were a simple matter
    >then of course we would provide enhanced images, but it is not. Deformative
    >play of various sorts, yet to be discovered or problematic but fruitful,
    >needs to be encouraged. It occurs to me that the best approach would be to
    >provide in the introductory material to this edition a description of how
    >particular filters, say in Photoshop, can be used under particular
    >circumstances to bring out features of an image. I can imagine, for
    >example, addressing the problem of a word originally written in silver ink
    >or paint for which the metal has mostly fallen off, leaving small bits
    >behind. What filter, or what filters used in what sequence with what
    >settings, would be best to show the remaining metallic bits?
    >Does such a image-manipulation manual for manuscript scholars exist? If
    >not, would there be sufficient interest to motivate the collaborative
    >production of such a manual?

    As I've begun working on a similar project, I am very much interested in a
    manual or best practices guide on this subject. I think that, with a little
    experimenting, we could single out the most useful filters for our purposes.

    >More ambitious would be a project to devise such filters specifically for
    >the purpose. Has anyone undertaken to do that?

    Yes, the project I'm currently working on is described at this address:

    http://islp.di.unipi.it/bifrost/vbd/dvb.html

    For a first, experimental GUI including image filters go here:

    http://islp.di.unipi.it/bifrost/vbd/interfaccia.html

    Italian only, sorry, but you can have a look at the screenshots. If you
    need more information just ask.

    P.S.: Thanks for the Humanist list, I find it very useful.

    Ciao

    Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      e-mail: rosselli at cisi.unito.it
    Dipartimento di Scienze                 rosselli at ling.unipi.it
    del Linguaggio                  Then spoke the thunder  DA
    Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

    Hige sceal the heardra, heorte the cenre, mod sceal the mare, the ure maegen litlath. (Maldon 312-3)

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:04:52 +0100 From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mk235@umail.umd.edu> Subject: image enhancement

    Hi Willard,

    Not quite what you were after in your query on Humanist, but I did want to draw your attention to the Virtual Lightbox I did here at MITH:

    http://www.mith2.umd.edu/products/lightbox/applet.html

    The Lightbox is free, open source, and ready to use. It will allow you to place multiple images on the screen and visually compare them with one another by dragging them around the display area (much the way we drag icons across a windows desktop). There's a zoom feature, and some basic image processing functions (inversion, contrast, greyscale). We could add others if they were specifically requested, or, since the tool is open source, they could be added on your end. Best, Matt

    Matthew G. Kirschenbaum_____________________________ _______________________http://www.otal.umd.edu/~mgk/