17.029 nested narrative? bibliographies of didactics & ICT in literature?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 01:35:15 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> (17)
             Subject: nested narrative

       [2] From: ileibrandt@unav.es (9)
             Subject: literature

             Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 06:32:20 +0100
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

    Willard and HUMANIST:

    I'd be interested in getting some facts on how deeply nested narratives can
    get, especially in the oral tradition. For example, as I see it, Homer's
    _Odyssey_ goes three levels deep, since direct discourse is quoted in
    Odysseus's narrative embedded in Homer's narrative. (I'd be thrilled if I
    could remember four levels deep as early as Homer, but I can't.) In
    literary traditions, of course organizations can get many levels deep (I
    found Conrad bewildering to follow as I recall).

    Can my fellow readers confirm for me that Homer only goes three levels
    deep? Can anyone provide an example from an oral tradition that goes further?

    For that matter, any occasions anyone can recall of things going four
    levels or deeper might be of interest. Plays within plays....

    Regards,
    Wendell

          "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting
           the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it
           extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau