17.012 gray literature

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 03:39:27 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: John Lupia <jlupia2@yahoo.com> (31)
             Subject: Re: 17.009 gray literature

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (44)
             Subject: what's gray?

             Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 08:33:21 +0100
             From: John Lupia <jlupia2@yahoo.com>

    Gray Literature (variant orthography, not exclusively British, "Grey
    Literature"), was probably first coined in the last quarter of the 19th
    century to designate a manuscript copy or pre-print distributed and
    circulated to a select few for peer review of a written work in advance of
    and intended for final and formal publication. This is not identical with
    a blue-line copy, or galley proof since these are terms used by a publisher
    to describe printed materials from signatures prepared for mass production.

    The term "grey paper" first appeared in John Ruskin's description of
    drawings produced by Joseph William Mallard Turner made on artist's drawing
    stock called "grey paper". (See Notes by Mr. Ruskin on his drawings by the
    late J. M. W. Turner, R. A. : exhibited at the Fine art society's
    galleries, 148 New Bond street, in the spring of 1878 (London : Elzevir
    press, 1878): 50) This form of paper was an unbleached stack and was
    produced as a wrapping paper and for artist's drawing. Since "gray
    literature" originally referred to an author's unfinished work it probably
    became an adopted term since it paralleled the artist's sketch that served
    as a preliminary idea in various degrees of refinement that preceded and
    led to a final production. The term "gray literature" has now taken on a
    broader meaning and includes all non-commercially produced literature
    inaccessible to the mass market for acquisition since its original target
    audience was private rather than open to the public forum.

    =====
    John N. Lupia, III
    31 Norwich Drive
    Toms River, New Jersey 08757 USA