16.048 stolen moments, resurfaced

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 07:22:28 EDT

             Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 12:14:05 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 15.471 poetry & the online medium

    [The following just surfaced from wherever it had gone. Again, if you do
    not see your posting in the subsequent issue of Humanist, please let me
    know. --WM]

    Willard,

    The momentary indeed! Revised URL

    http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/education/under.htm

    > on the Underground, now celebrating its 15th anniversary
    > <http://www.poetrysoc.com/education/under.htm> -- thus almost exactly
    > contemporary with Humanist.
    >
    > There's something more -- allow me to take a run at it with a question. Is
    > there not a discontinuous, interruptive quality of momentariness that
    > poems, especially the brief, non-narrative kind, share with the electronic
    > medium? But not only this medium, of course. The genius of Poems on
    > the Underground is at least in part its use of "stolen" moments.

    and more on Tube Poems by searching the WWWspace of thetube.com

    http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1001ad5c&sp-q=poem&GO.x=25&GO.y=13

    [a search likely to produce different results with the passage of time]

    enjoy a bit of Ibadan by John Pepper Clark
    http://www.thetube.com/content/metro/02/0205/17/
    and perhaps discover how the line breaks are marked up and thus
    apparently preserved across changes in scale of rendering :)

    seven hills like broken<br>china in the sun</td>

    which one would expect to be rendered as :

    Running splash of rust
    and gold - flung and scattered
    among seven hills like broken
    china in the sun

    but a browser setting of a certain font size operating on a screen of
    a certain dimension and set to respect the value of the width
    attributes of the table elements can lead to this:

    Running splash
    of rust
    and gold - flung
    and scattered
    among seven
    hills like broken
    china in the sun

    Layout likely to be read aloud differently. Couple this phenomenon with
    the question of just how accessible is table markup to voice-synthesis
    software?

    What might it mean to encourage electro-cultural practices that value
    favourably scrolling across as much as scrolling down? Screen-as-window
    (or view finder) versus screen as bounded-table (sandbox)....

    111
    101
    111

    --