15.479 workshop, seminar, conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 04:20:22 EST

       [1] From: "J. Stephen Downie" <jdownie@UIUC.EDU> (54)
             Subject: Special Workshop on Music IR Evaluation

       [2] From: "J. Trant" <jtrant@ARCHIMUSE.COM> (34)
             Subject: Grindstone Seminar: Making Playful Interfaces for
                     Serious Content

       [3] From: "James Gifford" <gifford@ualberta.ca> (41)
             Subject: CFP - Grad Students

       [4] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (38)
             Subject: Save The Date: World Intellectual Property Day
                     Conference: Beyond DMCA

             Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:12:45 +0000
             From: "J. Stephen Downie" <jdownie@UIUC.EDU>

    Dear colleagues:

    INTRODUCTION
    The participants of the informal session on MIR Testbed/Evaluation
    Issues at ISMIR 2001 [http://ismir2001.indiana.edu] decided to explore
    the possiblity of holding a special "meeting" devoted to the creation of
    standardized MIR test collections, retrieval tasks, and evaluation
    metrics under the rubric of the 2002 Joint Conference on Digital
    Libraries [http://www.ohsu.edu/jcdl] (JCDL '02 14-18 July, 2002 in
    Portland, Oregon, USA).

    Gary Marchionini (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill), who is
    JCDL '02 Program Chair, suggested that our special "MIR Evaluation"
    meeting would be best served if structured as a "Workshop" of some
    substantial length (say, a day or half-day). Other options included a
    "Panel" or a "Tutorial." The "Workshop" structure seems the best way to
    proceed.

    PRELIMINARY PLAN
    We hope to engage the participation of all interested in Music IR
    research and evaluation. We plan on asking all interested parties to
    submit formal "white-papers" outlining their individual perspectives on
    what needs to be done to create *meaningful* MIR test collections,
    retrieval tasks, and evaluation metrics. We would like to hear from
    musicologists, music theorists, audio-retrieval experts,
    symbolic-retrieval experts, librarians, lawyers, industry and business
    representatives; in short, from all the key groups in MIR research. The
    compilation of the these perspectives and the discussion that follows at
    the Workshop will form the bed-rock upon which a solid foundation of
    future research can be built.

    EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
    As the first step toward making the "Workshop on MIR Testbed/Evaluation
    Issues" a reality (title subject to change, of course), we need to come
    up with a list of potential participants for submission with our
    workshop proposal. The proposal has a deadline of 11 February, 2002.

    We have created a "sign up" form to gather the names of potential
    participants. The form can be found at:

    http://music-ir.org/mirbib2/eval_workshop

    Signing the form does not obligate your attendance but does gives us a
    framework for planning. In the "comments" section of the form, we would
    appreciate *brief* note outlining the perspective(s) that you would
    bring to the discussion (e.g., audio-retrieval, HCI, music theory,
    business, etc.)

    The original Resolution of Need from which this workshop proposal sprang
    can be found at:

    http://music-ir.org/mirbib2/resolution

    Cheers,
    J. Stephen Downie

         "Research funding makes the world a better place"
    J. Stephen Downie, PhD
    Assistant Professor,
    Graduate School of Library and Information Science; and,
    Fellow, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (2000-01)
    (217) 351-5037

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:13:47 +0000 From: "J. Trant" <jtrant@ARCHIMUSE.COM> Subject: Grindstone Seminar: Making Playful Interfaces for Serious Content

    Archives & Museum Informatics announces the first event in the 8 week Grindstone Island 2002 Summer Seminar Series. For full details of our summer program see http://www.archimuse.com/grindstone/learn.html

    ----------------------------------------------------------- Making Playful Interfaces for Serious Content: June 8-14, 2002 ----------------------------------------------------------- with Slavko Milekic, M.D., PhD, Associate Professor of Cognitive Science & Digital Design, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, USA

    -Summary- In this five-day workshop we will play with the design and building of non-traditional interface solutions, ranging from voice and gesture interaction to controlling the application with your mind! Using the current research findings from the areas of cognitive science, interface design and social psychology you will learn how to prototype and evaluate alternative interaction mechanisms with your content. Special emphasis will be made on alternative interactions with Web-based content. No previous programming experience required. A creative and open mind is a prerequisite.

    The goal of this workshop is two-fold:

    a) to expose you to the current research findings in the area of cognitive science, interface design and social psychology relevant for the design of interactive media, and

    b) to demonstrate a series of non-traditional interface solutions, ranging from voice and gesture interaction to controlling the application with your mind;

    The workshop will be conducted in eight three-hour sessions, roughly half of which will be devoted to hands-on demonstrations. Previous scripting/programming experience is not a necessary prerequisite for this workshop. By the end of the workshop you will be acquainted with the wide spectrum of alternative interaction possibilities and will be able to design and evaluate non-traditional interfaces for various applications. Special emphasis will be made on designing interaction with Web-based content.

    The topics that will be covered in individual sessions are listed below. Although theoretical and hands-on sessions will be presented in alternating fashion, they are listed sequentially for clarity.

    [material deleted]

    --[3]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:15:07 +0000 From: "James Gifford" <gifford@ualberta.ca> Subject: CFP - Grad Students

    My apologies for any cross-posting. -----------------------------------

    CALL FOR PAPERS - GRADUATE STUDENTS

    || Humanities Computing in Teaching & Research || || Professional Skills Conferencing and Publishing ||

    http://www.cas.ucf.edu/durrell/omg12.htm

    A pre-registration series of panels, directed to graduate students and the university community, will open the conference of the International Lawrence Durrell Society on June 20th, 2002. The conference will take place in Canada's capital city, at the University of Ottawa.

    These pre-registration panels are intended to recognize and include the unique interests, experiences and contributions of the graduate student community. Also, because these panels are pre-registration, participation is open to the community and is not restricted to conference participants.

    We solicit papers for two pre-conference panels. Papers from graduate students or new scholars (5 years after completion of doctorate) will be considered. Papers should be no more than 20 minutes in length, or 10 to 12 double-spaced typed pages. Please note any Audio-Visual equipment requirements in your proposal.

    (1) Humanities Computing in Teaching and Research: Papers are invited on the subjects of new developments in Humanities computing, the computer as an educational tool, the electronic text and research computing. Archiving, concordances, online developments and electronic publishing are all topics of interest. This general panel will precede more specific computing panels related to the conference topic, which are planned to take place during the conference proper.

    (2) Professional Skills Conferencing and Publishing: Experiential or traditional papers are welcome for this panel. Rather than a professionalization 'how-to' scenario, this panel is intended to discuss and give voice to the unique position, experiences, problems and contributions of the new or young scholar. Papers may address any aspect of the professional or developmental aspects of being a graduate student or new scholar, as well as conference participation, teaching, pedagogy, publishing and the development of professional skills. Papers from new or young scholars are particularly welcome for this panel.

    Since panels on computing, teaching and research in regard to Durrell's works are planned for the conference proper, papers for this call need not address the conference's authorial theme directly. Papers should be more general in both focus and intended audience.

    [material deleted]

    For more information about the conference in general, please see: http://www.cas.ucf.edu/durrell/omg12.htm

    --[4]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:17:44 +0000 From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> Subject: Save The Date: World Intellectual Property Day Conference: Beyond DMCA

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources from across the Community January 29, 2002

    U.S. Copyright Office and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Announce: "Beyond the DMCA: A Copyright Conference" April 25-26, 2001: Washington, D.C

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================