15.471 poetry & the online medium

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 04:54:58 EST

             Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:18:10 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard@lists.village.virginia.edu>
             Subject: U.S. POET LAUREATE LAUNCHES PROJECT TO ENCOURAGE POETRY
    IN HIGH SCHOOLS

    The following might serve to provoke discussion, once again, of how poets
    and others use the online medium for publishing poetry. Even moderately
    well-known poets, I understand, have trouble getting their stuff into
    circulation otherwise -- opportunities are not thick on the ground, slim
    volumes are notoriously expensive and the distribution of poetry magazines
    quite limited. Serving poetry online goes back several years, as I hope my
    colleague John Lavagnino will tell us. Also notable in this regard is Poems
    on the Underground, now celebrating its 15th anniversary
    <http://www.poetrysoc.com/education/under.htm> -- thus almost exactly
    contemporary with Humanist.

    There's something more -- allow me to take a run at it with a question. Is
    there not a discontinuous, interruptive quality of momentariness that
    poems, especially the brief, non-narrative kind, share with the electronic
    medium? But not only this medium, of course. The genius of Poems on
    the Underground is at least in part its use of "stolen" moments.

    Yours,
    WM