15.424 happy New Year, with explanations

From: Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@BTINTERNET.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 09:24:25 EST

             Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:47:18 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com>
             Subject: administrivia -- except when you need it

    Dear colleagues:

    The managers of the service at Princeton University to whom we owe thanks
    for the distribution of Humanist have recently changed the mechanism from
    the "ListProc" to "ListServ" software. As a result I have had some new
    things to learn, and so the silence from Humanist for the last several
    days. A celebration or two did intervene as well, of course.

    Another result is that members of Humanist can now manage their own account
    details via a Web interface. This is, as far as I can tell, an enormous
    improvement over the e-mail command-line interface we had previously. The
    URL of the new interface is <http://new-lists.princeton.edu/>, from which
    one selects "Private lists", enters the name "Humanist" and then chooses an
    option.

    The first fruit of all this for Humanist I offer below -- a new welcome
    message for new members.

    >Welcome to Humanist!
    >
    >Presumably you have already read about the group or, if you are rejoining,
    >have experience of it already. If not, please see the homepage at
    ><http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/> or
    ><http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>. At any time you may view or
    >alter the parameters of your subscription by going to
    ><http://new-lists.princeton.edu/>. If you get hopelessly confused or are
    >otherwise unable to deal with technical or indeed other matters, please
    >write to the editor or assistant editor, whose addresses are given on
    >the homepage.
    >
    >"Lurking" (i.e. reading contributions but not contributing oneself) is most
    >welcome, but contributing is even more welcome. To paraphrase William Carlos
    >Williams, "no knowledge but in conversation" -- which, yes, can be among
    >one's myriad of selves but is actually often better among fellow members.
    >The notion that we're here to speak the truth can be impossibly daunting.
    >Better to think we're here to grope toward whatever the truth will turn out
    >to be and that the best way to do this is to say what one thinks. Of course
    >the privilege is everyone's, which means that someone else may want to say
    >what he or she thinks of what you've said. So be prepared....
    >
    >Again, welcome!
    >
    >Yours,
    >WM

    Please let me know of any difficulties -- and forgive any additional delays
    and rough patches in the next few days.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer,
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London,
    Strand, London WC2R 2LS, U.K.,
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784, ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/,
    willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk, w.mccarty@btinternet.com