15.345 the bad old days

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 01:51:18 EST

             Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:42:06 +0000
             From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>
             Subject: Re: 15.342 changes

    Willard, you reminded me, too, of the Bad Old Days -- I once was asked
    to apply for a brand-new job at a school I won't name, which would
    essentially have been to develop Humanities Computing on the campus. I
    was informed that the job would not come into existence because the
    Humanities faculty had decided, by an overwhelming vote, that humanists
    had no business dealing with computers.....

    Even at the school I finally retired from, and to which I owe my work
    with computers, I was told that the VPAA did not consider me a candidate
    for Extra Merit because I was programming instead of making editions of
    medieval texts. (I kept on doing what I was doing and he eventually
    left.)