15.344 digital management standard in development

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 01:50:50 EST

             Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:41:35 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Digital Rights Management Standard Under Development by
    Commercial Consortium

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 31, 2001

             Commercial Entities Developing Digital Rights Management Standard
                     http://www.doi.org/news/011101-DRM.html#drm

    We should be prepared for commentary on this fairly important development
    by a commercial consortium in developing a digital rights management standard.

    David Green
    ===========

    >Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:46:23 -0500
    >From: Terry Kuny <terry.kuny@xist.com>
    >>To: DIGLIB@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA

    >Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:03:06 -0500

    Washington - Geneva

    The International DOI Foundation Service Announcement 11-01

    MAJOR ORGANIZATIONS TO DEVELOP DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (DRM)
    STANDARD Founding sponsors EDItEUR and the International DOI
    Foundation (IDF) will be joined by the Motion Picture Association of
    America (MPA), the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA),
    the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI),
    Accenture, ContentGuard, Enpia Systems, and Melodies and Memories
    Global (a subsidiary of Dentsu) in a Consortium formed to develop a
    Rights Data Dictionary - a common dictionary or vocabulary for
    intellectual property rights named < indecs >2RDD. < indecs >2RDD
    will be developed to enable the exchange of key information between
    content industries and ecommerce trading of intellectual property
    rights.
    more--<http://www.doi.org/news/011101-DRM.html#drm>

    FOURTH DOI REGISTRATION AGENCY APPOINTED Learning Objects Network,
    Inc. (LON) has been appointed as the fourth DOI Registration Agency
    this year. LON will register DOIs for use in the management of
    learning objects and is working with partners including Sun
    Microsystems and Artesia Technologies to develop an Advanced
    Distributed Learning project for the U.S. Department of Defense and
    others.
    more<http://www.doi.org/news/011101-DRM.html#ra>http://www.doi.org/news/011101-DRM.html#ra

    COMMERCIAL DOI IMPLEMENTATIONS UNVEILED At the Frankfurt Book Fair
    (Germany), the publishing industry's largest annual trade show,
    commercial implementations and demonstrations from initial DOI
    Registration Agencies were unveiled. The DOI System has the potential
    for ubiquitous use in digital commerce of content and provides the
    basis to facilitate the use of digital intellectual property in a
    legal, controllable, and easy to manage way. To view the
    presentations and
    more...<http://www.doi.org/news/011101-DRM.html#commercial>http://www.doi.org/news/011101-DRM.html#commercial

    CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE DOI FOUNDATION
    <http://www.doi.org/idf-member-list.html>http://www.doi.org/idf-member-list.html

    NEW MEMBERS: Adobe - Cambridge University Press - Learning Objects Network

    The DOI is a system for interoperably identifying and exchanging
    intellectual property in the digital environment. A DOI assigned to
    content enhances a content producer's ability to trade
    electronically. It provides a framework for managing content in any
    form at any level of granularity, for linking customers with content
    suppliers, for facilitating electronic commerce, and enabling
    automated copyright management for all types of media. The
    International DOI Foundation, a non-profit organization, manages
    development, policy and licensing of the DOI to registration agencies
    and technology providers and advises on usage and development of
    related services and technologies. The DOI system uses open standards
    with a standard syntax (ANSI/NISO Z39.84) and is currently used by
    leading international technology and content organizations.

    This is a service announcement from the International Digital Object
    Identifier Foundation and has been prepared to increase your
    awareness about important developments to enable digital copyright
    management of intellectual property. For more information, please
    contact <mailto:info@doi.org>info@doi.org or visit
    <http://www.doi.org/>http://www.doi.org.

    Sun Microsystems, Inc. has published the second edition of its
    popular "Digital Library Toolkit", a valuable resource for anyone
    planning a digital collection. To download a free copy, go to:

    http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/libraries/digitaltoolkit.html

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================