15.183 Leyton's book? publishers and XML?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 03:29:22 EDT

       [1] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (30)
             Subject: Leyton

       [2] From: Martin Holmes <mholmes@uvic.ca> (17)
             Subject: Publishers and XML

             Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:22:27 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Willard,

    On the occasion of its appearance in paperback, David Weiss recently
    enthused about Michael Leyton's _Symmetry, Causality, Mind_ to which
    posting he gave the subject line "relation of Art to Mind" and his subject
    line and his message were distributed under the heading "new book on shape
    and time".

    Yes indeed a good deal of this now reprinted book is devoted to the
    computation of visualization. However, it does contain a chapter on
    linguistics. I was wondering if any subscribers beyond David and myself
    are familiar with the book and if they would care to comment on the
    argument put forward by Leyton that "Representation is Explanation" and of
    its possible (and actual) impact on humanities computing. More generally,
    I would be pleased to see a discussion about cognitive psychology,
    computation and the humanities.

    I ask because theories of perception impinge on hermeneutics.

    For David's blurb and Willard's subject line see
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Humanist/v15/0136.html

    I take the appearance of "new" in the context of a reprint to be a ghost
    of memories of Newcastle where old theories appear to have been fitted to
    new bottles. But who I am I to tell with no reports of the proceedings at
    hand and only the labels of abstracts. See
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Humanist/v15/0133.html
    and
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Humanist/v15/0139.html

    Sipping with patience a cool, tall glass of water,

    Francois

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/ivt.htm

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:23:00 +0100 From: Martin Holmes <mholmes@uvic.ca> Subject: Publishers and XML

    Hi there,

    I'm trying to get an idea of the extent to which properly-digitized documents -- XML documents, really, using DTDs based on TEI standards -- are acceptable to academic publishers. Are there many publishers yet who would accept (for example) the text of a book for publication in XML format? How many are still insisting on camera-ready copy, MSWord documents, PDFs etc? How many academic publishers are doing e-publishing, and what document formats are they using?

    All insights and relevant experiences much appreciated -- please name names if you can. I'll be happy to summarize responses to the list.

    Best regards, Martin Holmes

    ______________________________________ Martin Holmes University of Humanities Computing and Media Centre mholmes@uvic.ca mholmes2@compuserve.com mholmes@halfbakedsoftware.com