15.024 AMICO by SCRAN; Hague Convention

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 02:38:53 EDT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (127)
             Subject: AMICO Library to be distributed by Scottish Cultural
                     Resources Access Network

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (57)
             Subject: Hague Convention Draft Treaty Discussions

             Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:20:43 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
    Resources Access Network

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    May 16, 2001

                              SCRAN and AMICO to Collaborate:
         Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network To Distribute The AMICO Library
                                   <http://www.amico.org>http://www.amico.org
                                  http://www.scran.ac.uk

    >Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:51:02 -0400
    >To: Kelly@amico.org
    >From: Kelly Richmond <Kelly@amico.org>

    AMICO Press Release
    May 16, 2001

    SCRAN and AMICO to Collaborate: The Scottish Cultural Resources Access
    Network
    Agrees to Distribute The AMICO Library TM
    AMICO Headquarters; Pittsburgh, PA

    The Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO) has entered into a broad collaborative
    agreement with the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network (SCRAN). The two
    organizations will share knowledge and expertise in the networked delivery of
    cultural heritage. SCRAN plans to add The AMICO Library to the existing SCRAN
    services available to primary and secondary schools throughout the United
    Kingdom beginning in the fall of 2001, and may also distribute to Further
    and/or Higher Educational institutions and public libraries in the U.K. AMICO
    and SCRAN will share specifications and tools, explore issues of
    cross-resource
    access, and look to make SCRAN resources available in North America to
    educational subscribers.

    As AMICO's Executive Director, Jennifer Trant, notes, "SCRAN has created a
    rich
    array of educational materials centered on Scottish cultural heritage. We hope
    that SCRAN subscribers will see The AMICO Library as a complementary addition
    to those materials, allowing for connections to be made across our two
    collections. We are excited to see our Members' collections available to U.K.
    primary and secondary school teachers and students. It broadens the
    educational reach of the museums we represent, and integrates nicely with our
    North American efforts to make The AMICO Library widely available to school
    users this fall."

    Bruce Royan, Executive Director of SCRAN, concurs, "The AMICO Library will
    be a welcome addition to the current resources we deliver. The diverse
    connections to be made between collections, educators, and students should
    be a natural and vibrant outgrowth of this agreement."

    SCRAN was founded by a partnership of the National Museums of Scotland (NMS),
    the Scottish Museums Council (SMC) and the Royal Commission on the Ancient &
    Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Also on the SCRAN Board are
    representatives of the British Computer Society (BCS), the Conference of
    Scottish Higher Education Principals (COSHEP) and the Learning and Teaching
    Scotland (LT Scotland), under the Chairmanship of Lady Balfour of Burleigh.
    SCRAN is available at a wide range of community information points, including
    schools, libraries, museums, community centres and tourist information
    centers.

    A central co-ordinating body signs a licence agreement form and SCRAN provides
    a site licence, password and username for each participating
    institution. This
    allows them to access and download large sized images and fully operational
    video and audio files. These, together with a range of tools and CD-ROMs may
    be used copyright cleared for teaching and learning. Personal licenses are
    also available for home use. SCRAN is accessible via the World Wide Web and
    its resources will also be available on CD-ROM and other multimedia formats as
    they develop. Today, SCRAN contains 700,000 text records of historic
    monuments
    and of artefacts held in Scottish museums, galleries and archives, plus
    120,000
    related multimedia resources. In addition, SCRAN will have commissioned 70
    multimedia essays, based on these resources, for educational use.

    The Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO) is an independent non-profit
    corporation with 501 (c) 3 designation from the IRS. Founded in 1997 with 23
    Members, the Consortium today is made up of over 30 major museums in the
    United
    States and Canada. Its an innovative collaboration not seen before in
    museums that shares, shapes, and standardizes digital information regarding
    museum collections and enables its educational use. Membership is open to any
    institution with a collection of art.

    AMICO Members make annual contributions of multimedia documentation of
    works in
    their museums collections. This is regularly compiled and made available as
    The AMICO Library to universities, colleges, schools, and public libraries.
    The 2001-2002 edition of The AMICO Library documents approximately 75,000
    different works of art, from prehistoric goddess figures to contemporary
    installations. More than simply an image database, works in The AMICO Library
    are fully documented and may also include curatorial text about the artwork,
    detailed provenance information, multiple views of the work itself, and other
    related multimedia. Subscribers find The AMICO Library valuable because it
    combines the immediacy and accessibility of the Web with the persistence and
    academic weight of traditional library reference sources, states Ms. Trant.

    The AMICO Library is accessible over secure networks to institutional
    subscribers including universities, colleges, libraries, schools, and museums,
    and is now licensed to over 2 million users, including faculty, students,
    teachers, staff, and researchers. Educational institutions may subscribe to
    The AMICO Library by contacting one of its distributors. These include the
    Research Libraries Group (RLG) and the Ohio Library and Information Network
    (OhioLINK), and now SCRAN. A subscription to the AMICO Library provides a
    license to use works for a broad range of educational purposes. Potential
    subscribers may preview a Thumbnail Catalog of the AMICO Library and get
    further information at <http://www.amico.org>http://www.amico.org.

    Contact Information:
    AMICO SCRAN
    Jennifer Trant, Executive Director Prof. Bruce Royan, CEO
    Art Museum Image Consortium Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network
    Phone: +1 412 422 8533 Phone: +44 131 662 1211
    Email: jtrant@amico.org Email: brucer@scran.ac.uk
    Web: <http://www.amico.org>http://www.amico.org Web:
    <http://www.scran.ac.uk>http://www.scran.ac.uk
    -------------------------
    Kelly Richmond
    Communications Director
    Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO)
    2008 Murray Ave, Suite D
    Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA
    phone: +1 412 422 8533
    fax: +1 412 422 8594
    <http://www.amico.org>http://www.amico.org
    kelly@amico.org
    --------------------------
    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.