15.025 Greek->PageMaker; TEI software

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 02:39:31 EDT

       [1] From: "Patrick T. Rourke" <ptrourke@valueweb.net> (35)
             Subject: Greek->PageMaker?

       [2] From: Lou Burnard <lou.burnard@computing- (12)
                     services.oxford.ac.uk>
             Subject: Re TEI software?

       [3] From: "John Unsworth" <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (13)
             Subject: RE: 15.023 Greek->PageMaker? centre & margin? TEI
                     software?

             Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:19:59 +0100
             From: "Patrick T. Rourke" <ptrourke@valueweb.net>

    I've often had problems with the WordPerfect Greek fonts in Adobe products;
    the embedding permissions are not set in WordPerfect's fonts, and I know
    that many Adobe products (for example, Acrobat 4) will not allow one to
    embed fonts that do not have the the embedding permissions set. You might
    want to try one of the various GreekKeys-compatible fonts. (The WP Greek
    fonts simply assign different glyphs to the Latin-1 character codes).

    But since you say that you're simply looking for an *unaccented* alpha, I
    should think that the letter "a" in Symbol font would do, unless PageMaker
    has problems with Symbol font as well. Though the Symbol font char set is
    really intended for use in mathematics, it does contain the unaccented forms
    of all the letters in the 24-character classical Greek alphabet, in both
    cases. Assuming that you're using Windows, of course.

    Patrick Rourke
    ptrourke@mediaone.net