14.0827 methodological response: hypertext

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 02:59:20 EDT

       [1] From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni- (51)
                     muenchen.de>
             Subject: Re: 14.0822 methodological response: hypertext

       [2] From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au> (20)
             Subject: Re: 14.0822 methodological response: hypertext [2]

       [3] From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au> (75)

       [4] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (76)
             Subject: and now for something not completely different

             Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 07:35:22 +0100
             From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>

    > From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>

    > Hypertext links are no more than an unremarkable, seamless,
    > inconsequential retooling of traditional reference mechanisms. (To
    > appropriate some of Willard's language.) Perhaps a little less
    > contentiously and more accurately, hypertext links are expressions of
    > the same mental processes that are evidenced by traditional reference
    > mechanisms, albeit easier to consult than traditional references.

    It seems to me you mention the main points of difference but I can't
    follow your argument how to evaluate them.
    Maybe it is useful to apply the distinction between material text,
    that is some marks on paper or some structured bits, and mental
    text, that is the text as it is represented in the mind of an author or
    a reader. If we use this distinction to look at a hypertext link, it
    becomes obvious that the mental text is quite similar to that of a
    footnote or a similar reference whose target is readily available, but
    the material text is quite different, because the reference
    mechanism has to be coded in a way which is not only
    understandable to a human but also to a machine.

    Another concept can be used to refine this picture: the amount of
    work to resolve a link. That this is an important factor becomes
    obvious if you don't look at one link but many. Even in the case of
    footnotes or endnotes the almost unnoticeable amount of work to
    move your eyes to the footnote and back to the main text amounts
    after a while to something noticeable. These becomes even more
    obvious in the case of links to very different texts. The work to
    resolve a conventional reference becomes part of your mental map
    (all people working with books are full of stories about the
    difficulties to get some of them) and the main consequence is that
    you only follow references which look promising enough to
    undergo this work. This really changes with hypertext links. The
    work to resolve the link is almost null, so only the time to read the
    target text remains to be taken into consideration. So it is not only
    a little bit easier, but from this difference a new praxis of reading
    results.

    So you could say that hypertexts and conventional references differ
    on the level of the material text and in the way how you read which
    leads to very different mental texts.

    btw, the picture you draw how Stanley Fish reads a text is quite
    different from the one drawn by reader psychology. One of the main
    differences could be seen in the fact that - as I understood this - we
    store conceptual information or mental maps but only in very rare
    cases the wording of a text, but that is exactly what a hypertext
    links to: just to the words - a problem known to anybody who has
    created an electronic edition: you can't just link to something, you
    must explain what kind of link this is (amplification, explanation,
    source document proving what you said etc.) Maybe the idea that
    hypertexts are working as our minds work is misleading.

    Fotis Jannidis
    Forum Computerphilologie
    http://computerphilologie.uni-muenchen.de