14.0826 Dublin Core conference, Fair Use seminar

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 02:55:02 EDT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (60)
             Subject: Dublin Core 2001, Tokyo, Oct 22-26; Deadline: June 20,
                     2001

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (69)
             Subject: "Future of Fair Use" June 15th, 2001, Adelphi MD

             Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 07:52:36 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Dublin Core 2001, Tokyo, Oct 22-26; Deadline: June 20, 2001

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    April 27, 2001

                                DUBLIN CORE 2001
          International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications 2001
                                     Oct 22-26, Tokyo
                                <http://www.nii.ac.jp/dc2001/>http://www.nii.ac.jp/dc2001/

                          Call for Papers DEADLINE: June 20, 2001

    >Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:58:49 +0200
    >From: Gauri Salokhe <gauri@gmd.de>
    >To: david@ninch.org

                     CALL FOR PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION

    DC-2001

    Date: 22 - 26 October 2001
    Venue: National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo, Japan
    Sponsors: National Institute of Informatics (NII,
    <http://www.nii.ac.jp/)>http://www.nii.ac.jp/)
    Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI,
    <http://dublincore.org/)>http://dublincore.org/)
    Japan Science and Technology Corporation
    (JST, <http://www.jst.go.jp/EN/)>http://www.jst.go.jp/EN/)

    Providing machine-understandable data on the Web has become a priority
    not just for publishers and scientific communities, but for a wide
    range of commercial ventures and services. Resource discovery across a
    diversity of services on the emerging Semantic Web is facilitated by
    the use of shared metadata vocabularies such as the Dublin Core
    Metadata Element Set.

    The Dublin Core workshop series has provided a forum for international,
    cross-disciplinary metadata development since 1995. DC-2001, ninth in
    this series, will include an international conference for the broader
    metadata community with three principal missions:

    -- to provide a forum to discuss further development of the Dublin Core
    and related metadata standards

    -- to provide a forum to present and exchange new ideas about metadata
    and applications, not limited to Dublin Core, and

    -- to provide tutorials on the creation, management, and use of
    metadata applications.

    DC-2001 is the first event in the DC Workshop series to be hosted in
    Asia and is also the first event to include conference and tutorial
    tracks in addition to the workshop.

    The Conference track of DC-2001 (Wednesday-Friday, 24-26 October)
    invites submissions of papers in the following areas:

    -- Conceptual models for metadata
    -- Implementation of systems and tools for metadata applications
    -- Surveys and case studies of metadata applications
    -- Novel activities based on metadata
    -- Interoperability among metadata systems
    -- Relationships among various metadata standards

    The Workshop track (Monday-Wednesday, 22-24 October), will feature
    technical meetings of ongoing working groups of the Dublin Core
    Metadata Initiative. The agenda for the workshop track is under
    development in DCMI Working Groups. All active members of working
    groups, and others who would like to become active, are invited to
    participate.

    [material deleted]