14.0711 Gutenberg -> XML; Ess, "We are the Borg"

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 15:40:00 EST

       [1] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (31)
             Subject: Gutenberg ASCII to be XMLized

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (19)
             Subject: Democratic Visions and Computer-Mediated Communication

             Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:36:52 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Subscribers to Humanist, especially those who devote much time and energy
    to questions of text encoding, might be interested in an item reported in

    > HTML Writers Guild Newsletter
    > Volume 7 Number 4, 02 March 2001
    > http://www.hwg.org/
    >
    > 2. Project Gutenberg
    >
    > The HTML Writers Guild is pleased to announce our new Project
    > Gutenberg director, Carole Gay. Carole is a long-standing member of
    > the Guild and the instructor for Introduction to HTML and HTML Level
    > II. HWG oversees a project that marks up Gutenberg documents as XML.
    > What better way is there to leave a gift to future generations than to
    > mark up documents in XHTML or XML, and who is better to do this than
    > members of the worlds largest organization of 'markup professionals',
    > namely ourselves. Why XML? Plain ASCII text has several downfalls,
    > the most obvious being that it only covers the western alphabets,
    > omits potentially crucial illustrations, and vital formatting is
    > difficult, if not impossible. Marking up documents in XML will solve
    > all these problems. Get involved in the Guild's Gutenberg project at
    > http://gutenberg.hwg.org/

    This development raises for me a question: what is to be the relation of
    the academy to the extra muros "amateur" (there being apparently few
    "amateurs" left within its walls), let alone to the extra muros
    "professional"?

    I'm puzzling over a wallless enclave as a model for networks connected to
    networks.

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
           some threads tangle in tassles, others form the weft

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:37:17 +0000 From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) Subject: Democratic Visions and Computer-Mediated Communication

    Humanists-at-large,

    I would like to recommend an article appearing in philTech.

    Linkname: We are the Borg: The Web as Agent of Assimilation or Cultural Renaissance, by Charles Ess URL: http://www.ephilosopher.com/120100/philtech/philtech.htm

    Some of you will recognized Charles as a frequent and intelligent contributor to Humanist. In this article he takes up the image or icon of the "global village" and suggests a long American tradition of similar utopian manifestations similar to Jeffersonian plans for "academical villages". He calls for cross-cultural fluency. He also sketches out the very useful distinction between technological instrumentalism and technological determinism.

    Well worth consulting in light of the questions of cultural appropriation/assimilation that have been raised by Aimee Morrison in recent postings. Well worth consulting in its own right.

    Happy reading and responding.