14.0710 new online: CRUMB discussion group, latest JEP

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 04:45:29 EST

       [1] From: Beryl Graham <beryl@stare.com> (32)
             Subject: New Discussion List for Media Art Curators

       [2] From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu> (56)
             Subject: The Latest Issue of the Journal of Electronic
                     Publishing

             Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:10:33 +0000
             From: Beryl Graham <beryl@stare.com>

    CRUMB - Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss

    Are pleased to announce the launch today of a new discussion list about
    curating new media art
    <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/new-media-curating.html>.

    The discussion aims to help curators deal with the challenges of new media
    art, and will add to the materials on the CRUMB web site.

    As well as general discussion, each month there will be a theme, with
    invited respondents.
    The theme for March is: BIG MEDIA ART: NEW MEDIA ART IN LARGE INSTITUTIONS.
    Invited respondents include: Matthew Gansallo (Tate/Independent), Sandy
    Nairne (Tate), Barbara London (NYMOMA), Julie Lazar (ex LA MOCA), and
    Jennifer Crowe (Rhizome).

    April's theme will be 'Independent New Media, Small Organisations, and
    Activist Art', and May's will concern 'Audience, Aesthetics and Archiving'
    (this intersects with the Baltic Seminar on New Media Curating 10-12th May
    <http://www.balticmill.com/>)

    Join now ... leave crumbs of wisdom.

    yours,

    Beryl

    P.S. Join on the web site, or
    send an email to: <jiscmail@jiscmail.ac.uk> with the two-line command:

    join new-media-curating

    --

    (The second command line is two minus signs - this stops JISCmail trying to process any signature information.)

    -- _________________________________________________________

    Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss http://www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb/

    Co-Editors: Telephone: +44 191 515 2896 Beryl Graham: beryl.graham@sunderland.ac.uk Sarah Cook: sarah.e.cook@sunderland.ac.uk

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:12:11 +0000 From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu> Subject: The Latest Issue of the Journal of Electronic Publishing

    GOING GLOBAL

    We must not only meet the needs of readers all over the world, we also must meet the needs of our authors and our customers, and of the medium in which we are working. In this issue our authors reflect on past experience and offer new theories across the borders of space and time.

    So here is the March 2001 issue of The Journal of Electronic Publishing for your reading enjoyment: http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/

    Hypertext http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/06-03/McAdams/pages/ Mindy McAdams, who holds the Knight Chair in journalism technologies and the democratic process at the University of Florida, and graduate student Stephanie Berger bring us their take on how hypertext should be presented -- suiting their action to their words. The two not only wrote the article, they designed the presentation. This seminal piece had JEP's editors questioning all our own approaches. The authors and the editors welcome your comments, which we will post as we receive them.

    Policy Making: A European Policy for Electronic Publishing http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/06-03/vitiello.html Giuseppe Vitiello, program advisor on electronic publishing, books, and archives for the Council of Europe offers insights to the thorny issues of protecting culturally important publications in a world of increasing globalization. He reviews the history of policies to support educational and cultural publication, and suggests possibilities for the European Union and the nations involved.

    Publishing Online-Only Peer-Reviewed Biomedical Literature: Three Years of Citation, Author Perception, and Usage Experience http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/06-03/anderson.html Kent Anderson, publishing director of the New England Journal of Medicine, with co-authors John Sack, Lisa Krauss, and Lori O'Keefe from HighWire Press, analyzed the citation frequency, online access statistics, and author perceptions of online-only publication of peer-reviewed articles and compared them with print articles. The results indicate that perception and reality are sometimes at odds.

    White Paper on Electronic Journal Usage Statistics http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/06-03/luther.html Judy Luther, president of the consulting firm Informed Strategies, examines why it has been difficult to obtain statistics on electronic-journal usage. The report looks at the particular concerns of publishers about producing those statistics.

    Q.A.: Breaking News http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/06-03/lieb0603.html Contributing editor Thom Lieb is not as interested in who wins an Oscar for a motion picture as in how we learn about it.

    And if you want your thoughts about electronic publishing to count, share them in Potpourri: http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/potpourri.html

    Enjoy!

    --