14.0646 ethical research procedures?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:27:10 EST

             Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:20:08 +0000
             From: cbf@socrates.Berkeley.EDU
             Subject: CPHS Review--#2001-1-25 (fwd)

    The attached message is the response to a request from a graduate student
    at Berkeley for approval from the Committee for the Protectecion of Human
    Subjects for a project to rcord contemporary oral folktales for
    comparison with medieval Spanish and Arabic analogues.

    I would be interested in knowing if anyone has run into approval processes
    like this for similar projects elsewhere; or, conversely, that projects
    like this are either exempted from requiring such approval or are not even
    required to be submitted.

    I'm afraid that my reaction to this was rather intemperate, and now I'm
    trying to justify that response ex post facto.

    Many thanks,

    Charles Faulhaber The Bancroft Library UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
    (510) 642-3782 FAX (510) 642-7589 cfaulhab@library.berkeley.edu